If you’re looking to take your PADI Instructor Development Course why not give the GILI IDC in Gili Trawangan a go. We provide thorough, comprehensive and fun Instructor level training in a professional setting. Blue Marlin is a PADI 5 star IDC center which means that we meet the highest standards of professional training.
Located directly on the beach on Gili Trawangan's main beach road we have our own dedicated IDC classroom, on site training pool and all open water dives are made from one of our own dive boats at training sites located just minutes away.
Our IDC philosophy is to provide quality training in a relaxed and comfortable environment. To achieve this we have we have created an IDC schedule that takes into account the needs of any dive professional wishing to further their career, and have addressed the common problems associated in taking time out to invest in a professional dive qualification. We run an IDC once a month and the program itself is based on a 10 day training schedule with optional free preparation days in advance. We recommend joining our IDC team 4 days ahead of the IDC to get started on dive theory study and skill practice. However if a you are not limited by time or feel that you would benefit from additional preparation time, then you are welcome to arrive before the IDC and get started; we also include free fun diving so it’s not all work work work!
During the IDC you will benefit directly from the real-world diving industry experience of our PADI Course Director Holly Macleod. She has over a decade of experience as a PADI Instructor in Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Australia, The Philippines and The Caribbean. Her background means that she has experienced many of the situations an Instructor can expect to meet. She will show you how to apply what you learn and how to successfully handle the challenges instructors face every day.
Our aim is to produce Instructors who are employable worldwide. Dive centers seek instructors who know how to balance the needs of guests, colleagues and management, and who can deliver high-quality courses, sell and promote diving. Holly will help you to develop and apply the skills that make you more attractive to employers.
In addition to the IDC itself, you will also have the opportunity to gain teaching experience, by shadowing one of our staff teaching a PADI course. This is a great way to get hands on teaching practice and see for yourself the practicalities of running a course, and make a smooth transition to teaching students of your own.
You will also benefit from working with Blue Marlin’s IDC Staff instructors who will assist, advise and support you. They are ready to share with you their experiences of working in diving, and the challenges and rewards of being an instructor.
During your time with us you will enjoy the same high level of professionalism, high-quality facilities and friendly atmosphere that we offer to everyone diving with us.
PrerequisitesTo join us on the Gili IDC you should:
• Hold a PADI Divemaster or Assistant Instructor qualification with current membership of PADI, or an equivalent leadership level certification with another training organization
• Have proof of 60 logged dives
• Have medical clearance of fitness to dive, signed by a doctor within the past 12 months
• Hold proof of first aid/cardio-pulmonary resuscitation training within the last 24 months
• Have been a certified diver (Open Water Diver course or equivalent) for at least six months
• Be at least 18 years old
To join an IE, in addition to the above you must have proof of a minimum of 100 logged dives, and have successfully completed the Instructor Development Course (IDC).
How to prepareBy preparing thoroughly in advance, you will benefit most from your IDC, and avoid feeling overloaded. Before starting the IDC, we recommend that you:
• Purchase all required materials
• Familiarize yourself with the PADI Instructor Manual and the Guide to Teaching
• Revise the five theory topics (Physics, Physiology, Equipment, Dive Skills and the Environment, Recreational Dive Planner), using the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving and
Diving Knowledge Workbook, or enroll online for Dive Theory eLearning
• Make sure you have the latest version of the PADI Instructor Manual or update yours with the latest Training Bulletins
• Review the 24 skills you practiced during your Divemaster course
• Practice the ‘Unconscious Diver at the Surface’ exercise from your PADI Rescue Diver course.
Required materials• PADI Instructor Manual (paper or digital version)
• Guide to Teaching with hologram
• Specialty Instructor Manual CD-ROM
• Open Water Diver cue cards (confined water)
• Open Water Diver cue cards (open water)
• Confined water lesson preparation slate
• Open water lesson preparation slate
• Adventures in Diving cue cards
• Rescue Diver cue cards
• Divemaster cue cards (included in your Divemaster Crew Pak)
• Discover Scuba Diving cue cards (included in your Divemaster Crew Pak)
• Instructor for Divemaster cue cards
• Open Water Diver quizzes and exams
• Rescue Diver final exams
• Divemaster final exams
• Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving (included in your Divemaster Crew Pak)
• Diving Knowledge Workbook
• eRDPml and RDP (table version) with instructions for use booklet
• Manuals from Open Water to Divemaster
• How to use and choose dive computers